Susan Bishop is the estranged wife of Dale Bishop, her second husband, and long-lost mother to Maddie, whom she calls "Madds."
Early Life Edit
Her first husband had died from unknown causes when Maddie was a little girl, which resulted in Susan remarrying Dale. However, their marriage seemed to have became complicated and she left her young daughter in the care of her second husband while she lived far off. According to Dale, she maybe is "being guided".
Physical Appearance Edit
She bears a larger, taller resemblance to her daughter.
Throughout the Series Edit
Although she did contact her daughter and estranged second husband on occasion, it had been eight whole months until Maddie had heard from her. In the Season 1 finale, "Aftermath" her voice is heard for the first time, having contacted her daughter who was surprised to hear her voice after so many months.
Susan suddenly returns to Bristol Cove, Washington, and has her daughter pick her up at the bus station. Determined to make a fresh start, she is welcomed back into the family by Dale, her second husband, but still has a slightly strained relationship with her daughter, who still harbors a grudge against her for choosing drugs over her own child.
Days, later she is seen at a AA meeting where Ben is in attendance, and expresses her concern about Maddie dating the elder son of Ted Pownall (whom she clearly distrusts) and berates her daughter about the "troubled relationship" she was having with her drug-dealer Glenn.
- The Arrival (debut appearance)
- The Wolf at the Door
- Natural Order
- Oil and Water
- Primal Instincts
- Distress Call
- Mixed Signals
Mentioned and Referenced Edit
Season 1 Edit
Season 2 Edit
Season 3 Edit
Unnamed First Husband/Maddie's Birth Father Edit
Susan was originally married to another man, Maddie's biological father, for a time. They conceived and Susan bore him one child, who is now Maddie Bishop. It is unknown how strong their romance and marriage was before he died.
Susan is the biological mother of Maddie. It is unknown how close they were prior to Susan’s sudden months-long absence. Maddie said once though that she and Dale should stop including her in their prayers at dinner time. After months of not hearing from her, Maddie receives a sudden call from Susan, which surprises Maddie.
Since returning to Bristol Cove, she tries to connect with her estranged daughter, who remains distant and refuses to let her in, mainly to keep the merpeople's existence a secret.
Second Marriage Edit
Dale is Susan’s second husband. Not much was known about the strength of their relationship starting out. However strong it was, they are now separated for at least several months, ever since Susan mysteriously disappeared from Bristol Cove.
- It is revealed that has befriended and been staying with another man during her five-month-long absence, that it was he who had persuaded her to return to Bristol Cove in the first place.
- She is now living separately from her daughter and second husband since the events of "Distress Call"
Season One Edit
- (on phone) "Maddie. It's me."
Season Two Edit
- "I didn't realize you were here. I must've fallen asleep."
- "Thanks for picking me up."
- "Just this one. Traveling light."
- "Yeah, sure. Whatever works."
- "What is going on?"
- "I don't know. I you right. This place...there's something with it. Can I see you?"
- "Glen. You shouldn't be here."
- (weakly) "Maddie. When did you get home?"
- "I'm Susan."
- "I am so glad they asked you back to work. It must feel good."
- "I'm sorry. II didn't exactly make things easy."
- "I promise I'll get a job. And I'll invite you two over for dinner sometime."
- "Yeah. Goodbye. Dale."
- "I'll get the electioneer."
- "Maddie, talk to me."
- "Maddie, Ben and Ryn are...in a relationship. Together. You didn't know?"