Rick is revealed to be the long-lost blood relative of Helen Hawkins; the third human to have merpeople blood in him.
As a boy, he always knew how different he was from his sister and was deemed "crazy" by her when growing up.
A tall man with tan skin, brownish hair, blue eyes and reddish scaly marks on his right arm; the same Helen does on her left leg, indicating that he does have merfolk blood in him. Later on in Season 3, he grows a beard.
Having lived a boyhood of isolation and estrangement, he is closed up and quite a loner.
- "Natural Order" (debut appearance)
- "Oil and Water"
- "Primal Instincts"
- "No North Star"
- "All In"
- "Mixed Signals"
- "The Outpost"
- "New World Order" (flashforward)
- He is the second human to be distantly descended from merpeople., who also hides the signs of that heritage from people who think of it as an "autoimmune response".
- He reveals to Helen that he has a sister, Beth, who has shunned him because of his autoimmune condition, who has married and has two sons; eight-year-old Max and six-year-old Jake.
- "They know about art?"
- "Wanna tell me what that was about?"
- "All my life, you always treated me like a loser!! Well, now I know who I really am!! We're related to...to mermaids."
- "Can we talk about Mom and Dad, about all of this?"
- "Helen has made contact with our kind."
- "Believe me. They do exist."
- "Maybe you're blowing this out of proportion."
- "Out of desperation."
- "How you know there's a key?"
- "Helen, no."
- "Can we talk more? About Mom and Dad?"
- "Helen's made contact with our kind. The full-blooded ones from the ocean."
- "They exist. Once I saw them, I knew."