Jonathon "John" Rooney was an elderly hybrid who is part of the secret merfolk tribe that Beth Marzdan is secretly a part of her, as was Helen's late mother Daphne, whom he knew very well.
He dies under mysterious causes, claiming to have happened in his sleep.
- The Outpost (first time)
- He seems to know what had truly transpired with Helen's parents, of which Beth Marzdan tries to conceal.
- He is revealed to be Daphne's original betrothed before she left him for Helen's father.
- "You sound just like her. Daphne. Your voices are exactly the same."
- "What happened to your folks wasn't right."
- "Your father was human. Your mother, one of us."
- "I didn't know your father, not personally. But Daphne and I, we have a very close kinship. We were set to marry, to keep the bloodline going. But she was in love with someone else."
- "It was forbidden, a betrayal. It got so bad, your folks had to go into hiding."
- "They would do anything to protect the secret. Anything."
About John Rooney
- "You knew my mother?"
- "John gets a little confused."
- "Where's John? I was hoping to say goodbye to him."
- "The old man said what happened to my parents wasn't right."
- "John. Please."
- "Was he showing signs of delusion or dementia?"
- "I'm told he was peaceful."
- "John Rooney, from the picnic, he's dead."
- "And yet John is dead."