Daphne Hawkins was the mother of Helen Hawkins, who had died years ago prior to the series. Deciding to keep hidden the secret tribes that she and others were in, she left at the age of thirty before Helen was born. It is revealed that Daphne was originally arranged to marry John as a way to keep the merfolk bloodline continuing before she eloped with Helen's father. While Daphne was still pregnant, she tried to seek help for protection for herself and her family and ultimately met and befriended Ted's grandmother but not her husband Caleb as he didn't friend her or her husband.
She helped build a cottage for them near a well that happens to be near the Pownall household that stands currently. It was revealed Daphne died from old age at the age of ninety.
Her husband was revealed to have been human, which caused major friction between her and the group as consorting and marrying humans was strictly forbidden.
- Oil and Water (debut; picture)
- No North Star (picture)
- Mixed Signals (family video; no lines)
- The Last Mermaid (photograph)
About Daphne Hawkins
- "My mother. She lived till she was ninety, smoked a pack a day. Unfiltered, just like her attitude."
- My mother taught me that."
- "You sound just like her."
- "Daphne. Your voices are exactly the same."
- "I didn't know your father, not personally. But your mother and I, we had a special kinship. We were to marry, to keep the bloodline going. But she was in love with someone else."
- "Your father was human. Your mother, one of us."
- "A letter to my grandmother from Helen's mother."
- "It seems Helen's mother was in some kind of trouble."
- "Does it say what she was running from?"
- "This was my mother's."
- "She was buried in it?"
- "These are letters exchanged between my grandmother and Helen's mother."
- "Apparently, Helen's mother was in some kind of trouble. She needed a place to hide."
- "My mother wrote these?"
- "That's you she's writing about."