Dale Bishop is the local Sheriff in Bristol Cove. He is also Maddie Bishop's stepfather. He is estranged from Maddie's mother Susan Bishop, whom he believes is being guided by the lord himself. In "The Toll of the Sea", after saving a mother and her son, after suffering the effects from Tia's Siren Song, he passed away, then his body was found by Xander McClure, who became Sheriff after his death.
Years ago, he went to his stepdaughter's school to give a lecture on being a sheriff at the police academy.
A decade ago, when had gotten a call from the police station about Elaine Pownall's boating accident and rushed with Susan to the hospital. He had cancelled dinner plans with Susan to keep the worried Ted company while Elaine was in surgery in the I.C.U.
- "The Mermaid Discovery" (debut appearance)
- The Lure
- Interview With a Mermaid
- On the Road
- Curse of the Starving Class
- Dead in the Water
- Street Fight
- The Arrival
- The Wolf at the Door
- Natural Order
- Oil and Water
- Distress Call
- New World Order
Dale is a humble and spiritual person. He tries to see the good in all situations, especially by assuming his estranged-wife is being guided by a higher power instead of believing she abandoned his stepdaughter and him. Dale is also a skilled police officer and follows his good morals in handling legal and personal situations.
- In addition to his stepdaughter and Ben Pownall, he is the third human ally and helper to Ryn and her people
- In the Season 2 premiere, it is revealed that did not tell Ted that the merfolk his family was/is so obsessed about were, in fact, real all along. His refusal to answer the townspeople questions has forced to him undergo a "psychiatric test."
- Like his stepdaughter, he kept Susan in the dark about what is really happening at Bristol Cove.
- In Episode 19, it is said that he is not pleased with his stepdaughter's involvement with the implosion of the Klesco Oil drillship.
- "Primal Instincts" is when Dale sees the good in Ryn, he explains the importance of laws on land and what Bristol Cove's beliefs represent.
- For most of Season 3 he was out of town as mentioned by Marissa, before returning and falling victim to Tia's Siren Song.
- His body was found by Xander and after his death Xander became the new Sheriff.
- "I believe your mother is being guided."
- "Maddie? My Maddie?"
- "What is this supposed to prove?"
- "I know you are."
- "These creatures shouldn't be here. But if comes to it, this town comes first."
- "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."
- "As long as you and Maddie are in Bristol Cove, I'm on duty. Badge or no badge."
- "We'll make it look he had an accident."
- "Thank you for saving my daughter. She means everything to me. But this...is wrong."
- "That's everything."
- "We all did our best here."
- "No. It was my fault. I shouldn't have let you come back. It was my fault believing you were well."
- "I'm rootin' for you...Suzie."
- "I owe you, Deputy. I know that."
- "Well, seems like I owe you one.Susan told me you offered her a job."
- "So what can I do for you?"
- "It's a long time ago."
- "Is that why you went to see Susan?"
- "Be sure you wanna drag all that up again?"
- "Yeah, sure.I can look into that"
- "Some things are better left in the past."
- "My daughter is in there!"
- "You know a hostage situation needs to be negotiated."
- "We can resolve this peacefully."