Prior to the series, Beth and her brother, Rick, inherited mermaid blood from their parents, and lived a normal childhood, but when they were adults, Rick experienced some skin conditions due to his merman blood, and Beth believed that he had gone crazy so she sent him to a mental facility for a seventy-two-hour lock down.
Beth, who was seemingly oblivious to the mermaid heritage, managed to marry a man and had two sons with him. But during that time, she seemed to have cut off all contact with her brother.
According to Rick, she basically was estranged to him, but in Beth's case, she really cares about her brother and does not deem him as crazy.
Beth is an average sized woman with short, dark-blonde hair and gray eyes. She appears to be in her thirties or forties.
Throughout the Series
During the first part of the second season, Rick tells Helen about Beth and his relations to her, along with her current family complete with a husband and kids, and how she estranged herself from him just because he was not normal.
In "No North Star", Rick intends to reveal the truth behind their ancestry by talking with her and bringing Helen with him. After the conversation which later turned sour at the end, she sends a man to go kidnap her brother and Helen before assigning him to find any other hybrids. Beth then apologizes for such kidnapping and then explains that she knew all along and wanted to tell Rick for a long time, but due to their mother's death, she couldn't bring herself to tell him. She also explains that their father knew as well and also wanted to tell Rick. She then sets up a gathering where they meet up with other hybrids, young and old.
After Bryan's death by the hands of Cami, Helen and Xander McClure take his corpse to the Ranch, where Beth meets up with them. Upon meeting Xander for the first time, she is initially wary of him because she thinks he would divulge the secrets of her mermaid ancestry but later warms up to him after learning that he is a friend of Helen.
- Initially, it was thought that Beth thought that Rick was being delusional when he mentioned that he and she are related to mermaids. In truth, she is revealed to have known all along.
- She learns about Levi's presence as a merman when she passes by him and Xander.
- It is currently unknown if she is still married, widowed, or divorced.
- She learns that she is also related to the Pownalls, which later results in her losing her followers to Bryan.
- In a desperate attempt to escape, she was shot by military soldiers.
- Though it's later revealed that Beth's death was a part of Ben's imagination and the former is in fact alive and well.
|“||No one sets foot on or off our ranch without our knowing. We keep ourselves safe. No one else is going to do it.||”|
|— Beth to Rick|